Tuesday, November 4, 2014

APA In Text Citations

All sources cited in text are also in the References list with the exception of classical works (including the Bible*) and personal communication. 

Direct quotations include the author (or title if no author), the date, and specific part of the source (page #, paragraph #, or section title).

The entire work- (smith, 2004)

A specific page- (smith, 2004, p. 39)

   All quotation greater than forty words are enclosed in quotation marks. This quote be on the next line from where your at. The whole quote should have an indent, possibly at the center of the paper. This could also be done if you want the quote to stick out so the reader knows that it's important. The in text parenthetical phrase comes before the ending punctuation.
  Ex: When Theseus said to Philostrate: 
"The kinder we, to give them thanks for nothing.

Our sport shall be to take what they mistake:

And what poor duty cannot do, noble respect

Takes it in might, not merit.

Where I have come, great clerks have purposed

To greet me with premeditated welcomes;

Where I have seen them shiver and look pale,

Make periods in the midst of sentences,

Throttle their practised accent in their fears

And in conclusion dumbly have broke off,

Not paying me a welcome. Trust me, sweet,

Out of this silence yet I pick'd a welcome;

And in the modesty of fearful duty

I read as much as from the rattling tongue

Of saucy and audacious eloquence.

Love, therefore, and tongue-tied simplicity

In least speak most, to my capacity."
    
All quotations less than 40 words are shown as an indent block quote with no additional beginning paragraph indenting. The parenthetical phrase comes after the punctuation.

 Ex1: "I wonder if the lion be to speak."    
 Ex2: "I wonder if the lion be to speak" said Thesius.

No comments:

Post a Comment